By John Dececco Phd,Vern L Bullough
- Prescott Townsend was once a Boston Brahman
- Dorr Legg was once a Log Cabin Republican
- Harry Hay used to be at one time a member of the Communist occasion
- Jim Kepner used to be a boy preacher
- Troy Perry used to be faraway from the ministry of his church for homosexuality--and then based the gay-friendly Metropolitan group Church
- Reed Erickson--a transsexual millionaire who gave hundreds of thousands to the cause--kept a puppy leopard known as Henry
- Barbara Gittings organize a kissing sales space on the American Library organization conference and prompt attendees to kiss a homosexual or lesbian!
Before Stonewall is an ideal ancillary textual content for any gay/lesbian reviews path, yet extra to the purpose, nobody attracted to those heroic figures and the activities they ignited can be with no this ebook, which obtained an honorable point out within the 2004 Stonewall ebook Awards.
Read Online or Download Before Stonewall: Activists for Gay and Lesbian Rights in Historical Context PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Giving voice to a inhabitants too not often stated, candy Tea collects greater than sixty existence tales from black homosexual males who have been born, raised, and proceed to reside within the South. E. Patrick Johnson demanding situations stereotypes of the South as "backward" or "repressive" and gives a window into the methods black homosexual males negotiate their identities, construct group, hold friendship networks, and locate sexual and lifestyles partners--often in areas and actions that seem to be antigay.
Become aware of the striking girl in the back of the legend. realize Christine Jorgensen’s amazing, inspirational trip to turn into the girl she constantly knew she must have been. changing into a girl: A Biography of Christine Jorgensen offers interesting insights in regards to the girl who opened doors—and minds—on behalf of sexual minorities.
The expanding numbers of LGBT children who decide to stay their lives as "out" adolescence face distinctive matters inside their colleges, households, and groups. This e-book presents info that might aid LGBT adolescence triumph over their demanding situations and provides non-LGBT formative years a greater knowing of sexual identities varied from their very own.
“Gender structures pervade and control human lives—in legislation courts and working rooms, ballparks and poker golf equipment, hair-dressing salons and kitchens, study rooms and playgroups. . . . precisely how gender works varies from tradition to tradition, and from historic interval to historic interval, yet gender is particularly rarely not at paintings.
- Forbidden Love: A Queer Film Classic (Queer Film Classics)
- Pre-Gay L.A.: A Social History of the Movement for Homosexual Rights
- Global Divas: Filipino Gay Men in the Diaspora (a John Hope Franklin Center Book)
- The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism
Extra info for Before Stonewall: Activists for Gay and Lesbian Rights in Historical Context