By Karen I. Frediksen-Goldsen
It is extra universal now than ever prior to for companions, kin, and buddies to supply casual care, but caregiving within the lesbian, homosexual, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) groups has bought little consciousness. Caregiving with Pride is the pioneering exam of caregiving stories within the LGBT inhabitants. this significant textual content additionally presents a frank dialogue of the problems serious about desiring and receiving care in addition. accomplished and up to date, this either a well timed account of a major box and useful info for imposing switch.
Unique in its concentration and scope, Caregiving with Pride deals readers unique learn and new summaries and analyses of present literature. With a wide-ranging process that's either readable and enlightening, this crucial assortment acknowledges the altering nature of households as principal to the problems of caregiving and LGBT groups. It positive factors articles that insist on and illustrate the significance of taking either id matters and socio-cultural coverage contexts of caregiving under consideration. whereas conserving a multifaceted biopsychosocial viewpoint that's serious to realizing the numerous facets of this subject, members speak about:
- the incidence of caregiving with LGBT groups
- health matters and the wishes of these requiring care
- the special possibility and protecting components impacting HIV/AIDS caregivers
- the mental results - optimistic and destructive - of caregiving
- family and private - “chosen relatives” - relationships
- interactions with formal structures of healthiness and long term care
- effects of heritage and social stigma on these desiring and giving care
- how present social rules hamper LGBT humans of their entry to care
- the methods tested clinical guidance prevent LGBT caregivers of their efforts to assist
- existing interventions and possibilities to raised sever those groups
- and a lot more!
As an informative stand-alone source, Caregiving with Pride is vital for gerontologists, sociologists, historians, social staff, psychologists, educators, researchers, and coverage makers. furthermore, this assortment is perfect as a supplementary textual content for college students of getting older, girls stories, GLBT reviews, sociology, and well-being experiences in addition to the bigger GLBT community.
Read or Download Caregiving with Pride PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Giving voice to a inhabitants too hardly ever stated, candy Tea collects greater than sixty existence tales from black homosexual males who have been born, raised, and proceed to dwell within the South. E. Patrick Johnson demanding situations stereotypes of the South as "backward" or "repressive" and provides a window into the methods black homosexual males negotiate their identities, construct neighborhood, continue friendship networks, and locate sexual and lifestyles partners--often in areas and actions that seem to be antigay.
Detect the extraordinary girl at the back of the legend. notice Christine Jorgensen’s extraordinary, inspirational trip to develop into the lady she regularly knew she must have been. changing into a girl: A Biography of Christine Jorgensen presents interesting insights in regards to the lady who opened doors—and minds—on behalf of sexual minorities.
The expanding numbers of LGBT young children who decide to stay their lives as "out" early life face specified concerns inside their colleges, households, and groups. This ebook presents details that would aid LGBT formative years triumph over their demanding situations and provides non-LGBT adolescence a greater figuring out of sexual identities diverse from their very own.
“Gender platforms pervade and keep an eye on human lives—in legislations courts and working rooms, ballparks and poker golf equipment, hair-dressing salons and kitchens, study rooms and playgroups. . . . precisely how gender works varies from tradition to tradition, and from ancient interval to ancient interval, yet gender is particularly rarely not at paintings.
- Queer Company: The Role and Meaning of Friendship in Gay Men's Work Lives
- The Nearness of Others: Searching for Tact and Contact in the Age of HIV
- Black Bull, Ancestors and Me - My Life as a Lesbian Sangoma
- Queering Families: The Postmodern Partnerships of Cisgender Women and Transgender Men (Sexuality, Identity, and Society)
- Transnational LGBT Activism: Working for Sexual Rights Worldwide
- The Global Tourism System: Governance, Development and Lessons from South Africa (New Directions in Tourism Analysis)
Extra resources for Caregiving with Pride