By Rodney P. Carlisle
CHOICE notable educational identify for 2009
"This ground-breaking source is strongly urged for all libraries and wellbeing and fitness and welfare institutional depots; crucial for collage collections, in particular these catering to social experiences programs."
—Library magazine, STARRED Review
Children and adults spend loads of time in actions we predict of as "play," together with video games, activities, and spare time activities. with no puzzling over it very deeply, nearly each person may agree that such actions are enjoyable, stress-free, and exciting. even if, play has many reasons that run a lot deeper than easy leisure. for kids, play has numerous capabilities reminiscent of festival, following principles, accepting defeat, determining leaders, exercise management, training grownup roles, and taking dangers so that it will obtain rewards. For adults, many video games and activities function risk free releases of emotions of aggression, pageant, and intergroup hostility.
The Encyclopedia of Play in ultra-modern Society explores the idea that of play in heritage and glossy society within the usa and across the world. Its scope encompasses rest and leisure actions of kids and adults through the a while, from cube video games within the Roman Empire to games this present day. With greater than 450 entries, those volumes don't comprise assurance activities and recreation groups yet, in its place, disguise the loads of video games performed to not generate income yet as casual job. All facets of play—from studying to pageant, mastery of nature, socialization, and cooperation—are integrated. barely enough, this Encyclopedia explores play performed for the joys of it!
- Available in either print and digital formats
- Provides entry to the attention-grabbing literature that has explored questions of psychology, studying conception, video game thought, and background in depth
- Considers the impacts of play on baby and grownup improvement, quite on future health, creativity, and imagination
- Contains entries that describe either grownup and youth play and video games in dozens of cultures around the globe and all through history
- Explores the delicate analyses of social thinkers comparable to Huizinga, Vygotsky, and Sutton-Smith, in addition to the wide range of video games, toys, activities, and entertainments came across round the world
- Presents cultures as varied because the historic center East, smooth Russia, and China and in countries as far off as India, Argentina, and France
- Adult Games
- Board and Card Games
- Children's Games
- History of Play
- Outdoor video games and novice Sports
- Play and Education
- Play round the World
- Psychology of Play
- Sociology of Play
- Toys and Business
- Video and on-line Games
For a subject matter we usually give some thought to light-hearted, play as a learn subject has generated an intensive and complex literature, exploring a number of penetrating questions. This two-volume set serves as a common, nontechnical source for teachers, researchers, and scholars alike. it really is a vital addition to any educational library.