By Wendy Hilton-Morrow,Kathleen Battles
Sexual Identities and the Media encourages scholars to envision media as a domain of negotiation for the way humans make feel in their personal and others’ sexual identities. Taking a critical/cultural method, Wendy Hilton-Morrow and Kathleen Battles weave jointly idea, synthesis of current learn, and unique research of latest media examples as a way to discover key components of discussion, together with: ?
- an historic context for modern GLBTQ representations;
- the merits and barriers of media visibility, together with a dialogue of the strengths and barriers of stereotype learn and the search for "positive" representations;
- the position of buyer tradition in developing GLBTQ identities;
- strategies of mainstream media resistance by way of GLBTQ neighborhood contributors, together with oppositional/queer studying thoughts and the creation of media items by way of and for the GLBTQ group;
- the complexities of comedy as a well-liked narrative equipment in GLBTQ portrayals;
- the closet as a structuring metaphor in either GLBTQ identities and engagement with media;
- media representations of GLBTQ our bodies as websites of non-normative wants and gender identities.
Featuring an incredible variety of debate questions and case studies—from megastar coming-out narratives, transgender versions, and minimize fiction writers to Glee and Modern Family—this textbook bargains a well timed, informative, and demystifying creation to this very important intersection in modern culture.
Read or Download Sexual Identities and the Media: An Introduction PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Giving voice to a inhabitants too infrequently said, candy Tea collects greater than sixty existence tales from black homosexual males who have been born, raised, and proceed to reside within the South. E. Patrick Johnson demanding situations stereotypes of the South as "backward" or "repressive" and gives a window into the methods black homosexual males negotiate their identities, construct group, hold friendship networks, and locate sexual and lifestyles partners--often in areas and actions that seem to be antigay.
Observe the awesome girl at the back of the legend. become aware of Christine Jorgensen’s outstanding, inspirational trip to develop into the lady she constantly knew she must have been. turning into a lady: A Biography of Christine Jorgensen presents attention-grabbing insights concerning the girl who opened doors—and minds—on behalf of sexual minorities.
The expanding numbers of LGBT kids who decide to reside their lives as "out" early life face distinct concerns inside of their faculties, households, and groups. This booklet offers details that would aid LGBT formative years triumph over their demanding situations and provides non-LGBT formative years a greater knowing of sexual identities various from their very own.
“Gender platforms pervade and control human lives—in legislations courts and working rooms, ballparks and poker golf equipment, hair-dressing salons and kitchens, study rooms and playgroups. . . . precisely how gender works varies from tradition to tradition, and from historic interval to old interval, yet gender is particularly rarely not at paintings.
- Cultural Diversity and Suicide: Ethnic, Religious, Gender, and Sexual Orientation Perspectives (Haworth Series in Clinical Psychotherapy)
- Sexpolitiques: Queer Zones 2 (LA FABRIQUE) (French Edition)
- Western Queers in China: Flight to the Land of Oz
- Intimate Partner Violence in LGBTQ Lives (Routledge Research in Gender and Society)
- LGBT Salt Lake (Images of Modern America)
Additional resources for Sexual Identities and the Media: An Introduction