By Cara Anzilotti
This compelling examine of the yankee public's reaction to the destiny of accused assassin Hattie Woolsteen makes use of this felony case to ascertain the complexities of gender heritage and societal fears in regards to the altering roles of ladies in the course of the Victorian era.
• presents a great advent to women's/gender historical past that explains the nuances of transferring attitudes relating to gender roles and women's position in American society on the finish of the nineteenth century
• permits an realizing of 19th-century anxieties approximately swift urbanization and the attendant perceived breakdown of group in addition to how legislation enforcement of the period—then in its infancy—was topic to political effect and societal expectations
• Underscores the function of the click in shaping public attitudes approximately neighborhood values and beliefs, documenting how the scoop through the Victorian period used to be titanic company and objectivity used to be now not a priority—not not like ultra-modern media
Read or Download She-Devil in the City of Angels: Gender, Violence, and the Hattie Woolsteen Murder Case in Victorian Era Los Angeles PDF
Similar biographies & memoirs of criminals books
This is often the 1st ebook to include a close examine through a criminal student of the 1831 rebellion and its aftermath, together with an research of the 50 trials of slaves and loose blacks charged with insurrection. Kirkus notes: "Caarefully footnoted, the compelling tale of ways a literate, non secular box hand got here to think he used to be the second one coming of the Messiah, destined to elevate a military to kill his opressors, makes an engaging learn.
Marc los angeles Mola nous entraine dans des endroits sordides, des cités sensibles et des commissariats miteux. Un voyage dont personne ne sortira indemne. Le témoignage exceptionnel d'un flic marseillais. Une plongée dans les coulisses les plus sombres de l. a. société.
Legal is the place Zeke Caligiuri is. Powderhorn Park in South Minneapolis, dubbed “Murderapolis” the 12 months he became eighteen, is the place he comes from. It was once an analogous local his father grew up in yet had replaced dramatically through the early Nineteen Nineties. but in Zeke’s relations, parents and grandmother stored issues jointly whereas throughout them the homes decayed and once-safe streets gave method to the weigh down of poverty and crime.
The engrossing actual existence tale of ways Queen Victoria's favorite son, Prince Alfred, undertook the main formidable Royal journey, just for Australia's overwhelming pleasure of getting the 1st Royal on its seashores jolted via his decadent behaviour, then surprised via an tried assassination by way of a guy educated as a clergyman.
- The Mayne Inheritance
- Boy With A Knife: A Story of Murder, Remorse, and a Prisoner's Fight for Justice
- Ces femmes qui portent la robe (French Edition)
- Soliah: The Sara Jane Olson Story
Additional resources for She-Devil in the City of Angels: Gender, Violence, and the Hattie Woolsteen Murder Case in Victorian Era Los Angeles